Cho Seung Hui, the troubled young man whose nightmarish assault on his fellow students will most likely be studied for years to come, doesn't seem to have been someone who had any involvement with video games in his recent history. Despite certain idiotic claims by both the man who needs to stop using my surname and Dr. Phil, it seems that he actually didn't own any video games... violent or otherwise. According to the search warrant, Cho's dorm room revealed the following items to authorities:
• Chain from top left closet shelf
• Folding knife & combination padlock
• Compaq computer from desktop
• Assorted documents, notepads, writings from desktop
• Combination lock
• Dremel tool and case
• Nine books, two notebooks, envelopes, from top shelf
• Assorted books & pads from lower shelf
• Compact discs from desktops
• Items from desktop & drawers: winchester multi tool, 3 notebooks, mail, checks, credit card
• Items from 2nd door: Kodak digital camera, Citibank statement
• Two cases of compact discs from dresser top
• Drive: Seagate: 80 Gb
• Six sheets of green computer paper
• Mirror with blue plastic housing
• Dremel tool box with receipt
• Dell Latitude service tag
So there you have it: at the moment, there is no evidence whatsoever supporting the theory that violent video games played a part in this horrific tragedy.
Not only were no games found in the immediate search of Cho Seun Hui's room, but according to a number of articles around the web (including a certain video clip with JT and Chris Matthews), Cho's roommate has stated that he never even saw his roommate playing video games during his rare appearances in the dorm suite.
A number of readers have also pointed out that there is a possibility there could easily be games on the CDs, harddrive, or laptop recovered by the police. While this is certainly possible, I feel obliged to point out that Dr. Phil was referencing console-based games because of his comment about how they glamorize violence "on the big screen." As the warrant clearly shows: Cho Seung Hui did not have either a television set or a gaming console of any type in his room.