« Ground Control to Major Nelson: No TGS Due To Missing Passport | Main | Jack Thompson: Will You Be Having Your Just Deserts Here or To-Go? »

Mass Effect To Feature Lesbian Sex Scene

masseffectgirls.jpg

Remember how Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire had a couple of fairly tame love-interest subplots thrown into their respective storylines? Granted, they could be kinda controversial if you happened to make decisions that would allow for same-sex relationships, but that was about it. However, it looks like things are going to get (kinda) steamier with a sex-scene that features partial nudity and possible women-on-women action:

The single sex scene is brief and undetailed, although there is breast nudity in one version of the scene. The sex scene is triggered by the player making a series of choices about becoming more than friends with a colleague. If playing as a male character the scene can take place between him and a human woman or a humanoid female alien. If playing as a female character the scene can take place between her and a male human or a female humanoid alien.

So, basically, the same sorta stuff we saw before except there's a little nudity. I'd be surprised if this actually makes it past the ESRB, as there was that tame sequence in Indigo Prophecy that was censored a couple of years ago.

Mass Erect.... err, Effect to feature intergalatic lesbian action [neoGAF]
[via Game | Life]

Magic Pink said:

Wow, lesbian sex. Gosh that's just so EDGY. Double yawn.

Let me know when a developer adds guy on guy and I'll be impressed. This is a lame studio adding lame sex to an already lame game.

Rosethornn said:

I dunno, Fear Effect 1 & 2 both got away with the "Look, horny teenagers! Lesbians!" gimmick.

I second the yawn.

DJ Fluke said:

i third the yawn, but i have to disagree about Bioware being a "lame studio" considering their pedigree...

blackboy said:

Sounds like marketing to me. Keeping (and building) interest in the game. Yawn.

BrerDan said:

Overall, some action is better than none, I guess...but I don't understand the options. A female character can do it with a male human or a female humanoid--but not a female human? And, frankly, if they have the male human created....I want some boy on boy options.

Oh well!

At least Bully is coming to a system I can play it on soon!

HyperOnion said:

Well... technically not lesbian. From the description, it sounds like the "lesbian" romance is with the aasari character (the blue alien chick in the picture), which are a one gender species. They just HAPPEN to resemble sexy human ladies.

Shame there's no gay/bi male crew member though. I'm incredibly hyped for Mass Effect, so I'm sad to see it's stuck in the usual "lesbians=hott/gay men=gross" nonsense so much media is stuck in. It also doesn't give me much hope that any of the game's sexuality will be above the "aimed at horny 13 year old boys" level most game sex is at.

Ah well. Hopefully they'll rectify that in one of the sequels.

BFG said:

Hmm, all that talk about freedom and putting your stamp on your character, and the one sex scene they have they cater for straight and lesbian sex only?

Seems like a lost opportunity. Oh well, their loss for not making the history books on that score, I guess.

I'm still looking forward to the game. A little gay smooching didn't make Bully any better for me, the lack thereof won't ruin Mass Effect.

So is that progress? I mean it has boy + girl and girl + girl but no boy + boy?

Of course how many games have extreme violence but no sex in them. That's the great irony about US games. You can show some dude getting blown away but you can't show some dude getting blown off.

Am I the only one that remembers the tastefully sex scenes in Golgo 13 on NES?

Spaz said:

I have to agree with the "very disappointing" vote. So basically it's sex aimed at.... straight males. (Don't try to convince me the "lesbian sex" is for the benefit of actual lesbians).

Haven't we gotten past this stuff? Either let characters have sex with who they want, or don't put the sex in at all. Enough of pandering to teen boys already.

Disappointing.

Godzina said:

*twitch* If all games that don't have gay sex in them were boring... we all should get a new hobby :-) I have high expectations for the game and I like what I see so far.

Still: Boo, Bioware. You missed your chance to give us a male/male kiss scene that doesn't fade to black, again. (Jade Empire, anyone?)

Bluebreaker said:

Why have the sex in at all? Plenty of games used to get by without any kind of sexual innuendo at all. Why do we have to have an "edginess" surrounding everything teenage/twentysomething guys do, say or buy?

When did this happen?

No yawn from me. It's still kind of a big deal to me.

Steve said:

FYI.

The Asari race (the blue aliens with flesh-locks) are all female in appearance. Therefore, whether your character is male or female, they could both possibly have sexy-time with a "female alien".

Get it?

John Hummel said:

You know what - I'm straight, and *I'm* annoyed at this. Girl on girl? Cool with Bioware. Girl on guy? Also cool. Guy on girl? Sure. Guy on guy?

Uh-oh. Evidently, Bioware has a problem with this.

And I go - why? Look, I'm not into seeing two guys make out - but it is silly to have 2 girls "Oh so hawt", but evidently Bioware thinks that a sausage fest is icky.

I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting. Sorry to blurt out.

John Hummel said:

Uh-oh. Evidently, Bioware has a problem with this.

Well, they lost my vote then. It's not bravery to do what every other guy developer finds hot (aka - two chicks) when you're not going to gives men the same freedom. Let's have some man on man love action, if you're going to give the option to the ladies.

I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting. Sorry to blurt out.

roborange said:

With this in mind, I am curious about game play on HOME for PS3. Would gay players be able 'hook-up' or just gather
in HOME and dedicate a gay space? If so, that may be a great place for GayGamers.

John Hummel said:

Uh - sorry about the dual post. Don't know what happened.

Godzina said:

A look at the Bioware forums pulls up an interesting discussion thread with links to further interviews. Apparently, Bioware has not explicitly stated there would be no male/male romance option, only that the boobie scene would result from the above f/m or f/f options.

Most people in the forum think that this means there might be a possible relationship, but no sex scene (as with the kiss in JE). I guess we'll have to wait and see. Either way, it looks and smells like we have a cop out, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Leelan said:

Godfuckingdamnit I've been waiting for news on same sex romances in this game all year and now I hear they're only doing girl-girl romance? And they're putting in a bloody sex scene which will obviously cause controversy? Fuck!

This is such a big disapointment.

Jurinet said:

Hm... Given my knowledge of the company's past projects, I'm not prepared to write Bioware off as just doing this for titillation's sake. Bioware has been consistently progressive in their romance side quests, and it doesn't just start with Jade Empire. In past games they've either included same-sex relationships or been forced to axe them by the powers that be. As video game companies go, they're rather forward thinking. This story came out because, since our society is COMPLETELY Bass-Ackwards about the whole sex/violence thing, the flash of a boob will cause an ERUPTION of outrage.

Never mind that you've been shooting people in the face for hours on end before that.

Don't count Bioware out just yet. I have great faith in them.

javiergaget said:

Let's start a petition to have gay male sex in Mass Effect too !!!

PAT said:

I don't get why it matters so much. Companies like Bioware know what the majority like and don't. They aren't going to change just because the minority cries for it. How many people would NOT buy the game because it DID have guy on guy. On top of that, a good mass of people don't want to see two men get it on. They may not mind two women or a man and a woman but its just the way it is.
Don't get me wrong. I don't care either way. I'm just sick of people crying about things that don't really matter. Why does everything have to be about sex in games anyway? I like it back when it was Mario and Tetris. Simple and no controversy.

yuki12paul said:

i dont get bioware they had male romance in there past games why not in this one. it would have been so hot to see shepard in his hot male human partner get it on. i wish there was something i could do to change there minds about it. oh god i wish i could

notafag said:

why the hell are you bitching because there is no guy on guy? who really gives a shit. nobody wants to see that shit anyway.

Felix said:

I wanted sheppard and joker to kiss and all that continues, I'm disappointed..

(notafag, obviously there are many people who don't understand why this shouldn't be at least an option.)

Kyle said:

Man if you all like gay sex so much u should go get a ps3 and play games made by ea. Oh yea and buy a mac

your all my bitches. ok?..no? too bad. said:

sex sells.

this game rocks.

for those of you who want guy on guy, wtf is up with that you little gay retards?

and why are you all bitching about a game? run out of things to do with your hand?

your all my bitches. ok?..no? too bad. said:

sex sells.

this game rocks.

WASD said:

I'm disappointed, they will do lesbian alien sex, but not gay (as in male on male) sex? I think thats the real controversy. People need to grow up. I'm pretty sure by the time its that far into the future gays will be just as normal and acceptable as straights.

I'm slightly insulted, but I understand as well that it would be taking a risk business wise by allowing gay relationships, but if they didn't advertise the fact I hardly see how it would kill their game.

Its an awesome game and I LOVE BioWare but they kinda dropped the ball here...