The Singapore Media Development Authority (referred to as the MDA) is putting a new rating system into place next week and restricting sales of 'Mature 18' games to minors. What constitutes a 'Mature 18' game?
- Violence: Realistic depiction
- Sex: Sex with some nudity
- Nudity: Topless or occasional full frontal nudity
- Language: Frequent use of strong coarse language
- Drug use: Realistic depiction
- Adult themes: Crime and homosexuality
I'm all for protecting kids, of course, but I find it silly to lump gayness in with sex. Bully, pictured here, is a great example of this. It's not graphically violent, there is no sex. But there IS boy kissing. That would be enough to rate this game mature. And I am not too happy about being lumped with crime as an adult theme, either. If there is explicit gay sex in a game, I am all for stopping a minor from playing it, but I would do the same for straight scenes. For the life of me, I can't think of a game that DOES have explicit gay sex, however. Maybe the 'lovemaking' noises from Fable?
Videogames with gay themes restricted under new rule [People Like Us]