« Video: Alone In The Dark Trifecta | Main | Impressions: Pop »

NSFW: Sony Continues To Horrify The World With Avant Garde Advertising

Image of Sony PlayStation 3 ad featuring bare-chested man

Sony, I've mentioned this before, and I feel equally justified in repeating myself: Fire your entire PlayStation marketing team--Every last one of them.

Really, just who are you marketing to with melty-screamy death babies, pseudo-Chicano gangster rodents, decapitated goats, racial power-plays, gratingly overzealous PSP savants, and now, the ultimate in WTF, the thumb-penis (or "thenis," or "phumb")?

Be forewarned, disturbing images await after the break.

Image of Sony PlayStation 3 ad featuring a svelte man with a thumb for a penis.

Oh, let's zoom that in for you.

Image of Sony PlayStation advert featuring a thumb-penis, enlarged

I have to wonder why Sony would continue to pursue such lackluster advertising for one of their flagship properties while also creating stunning, cinematic moments for their Bravia television line. Better yet, what does this say about PlayStation 3 owners? Is it supposed to be representative of the mixed messages PlayStation 3 owners have in regard to the joy they receive from owning their PlayStation 3, or is it demonstrating the meager equipment PlayStation 3 owners are shown as owning?

Perhaps it's to represent the joy to be had in upgrading to the DualShock 3? The world may never know.

Image of Sony PlayStation thumb-penis advert with Jack Tretton, President of SCEA

When You See Misshapen Penises, Sony Would Like You to Think of PlayStation [Topless Robot]

Laiyne said:

Hahah..ahahahahaha.....ahahahahahahahahaa...

I get it!1

CJG said:

Uh.... what?!?

game-boi said:

It looks a Wii small.

/size queen

Stevie said:

What...the...hell.

I... just don't even know what to say. I feel my brain imploding.

I'd like to know who Sony hires for these things and how are they in buisness.

Also, who exactly is this aimed at?!

DJFluke76 said:

confuzzed.
wasn't this was a SCEE ad from Austria?
what does this have to do with Jack Tretton (SCEA)?
:-/

either way, it gives a new meaning to "sucking your thumbs", though, no? =)

John said:

the weird thing is, at first glance, i didn't get that it was a thumb, i just thought it was small with an up bend :)

I totally would suck that thumb.

:O

Tuck said:

I sorta like the ad. Sure it's ineffective but hot manflesh is almost never a bad thing.

clarkspecial said:

No really, this can't be a real ad.

Morrigan said:

"The world may never know."

The world does not want to know

peteypuke said:

i didn't even notice the thumb weenie - those abs are too distracting and unreal.

The_french_guy said:

it's pretty darn small, if you ask me...

kidicarus222 said:

Are we being told to manipulate the controller with our dongs, however small they may be? Is this a literalization of the stereotype of old school joystick-manipulation as wankery? Does anybody else want to thumb-wrestle?

Randle said:

W..Wow... As "The Naked Gamer" I suddenly feel like wearing pants and a parka.

I have to be honest, here.

They could have given the poor bastard a bigger thumb.

Will said:

Is that hot or is that scary?

David said:

OH my God...what the hell is this? Where was this add published? what country? This had to be posted somewhere for someone?

gooberngrape said:

hahahaha, his thumb. it's so...little. hahaha!
i wonder what his knuckles look like.

Ben said:

Uh...the naked guy sure doesn't bother me, but I just don't get the message of the ad. Maybe I'm to "dumb" to understand these Sony ads, but what is it trying to say? Is it making a comment about it's user base being a bunch of dicks? Is it telling us to play with our dicks? What is the message, can somebody explain it to me?

Nick said:

this is fucking ridiculous, i'd like to see all those other adds mentioned in the article, is there an archive for this sort of stuff?
it's so outlindish that i almost want to like it but nah, it's just crap.

Hermy said:

where did this ad appear?

seb1024 said:

"where did this ad appear?"
the better question being Why did this ad appear?

d_void999 said:

Is this a teaser ad for Fallout 3 on PS3?

I think I'm more disturbed about the public hair that is in the photo than the mutated wiener thumb.

Though in finding a reason for the ad, I will have to agree when I talk about "showing love" for my PS3 I don't take it literally but I do tell my friends "I'm humping my PS3" when they ask me what I'm up to.

Ashley-Yin said:

when you think about it this is good advertising(just this one) it made you take notice
it makes for a good change quite frankly
its a rare site seeing anything like this
mabey sony thought this is for you straight
and bi girls and for you gay and bi guys.

anyway its a darn site better than what Microbum are doing!

Eddie2010 said:

This is an Austrian ad, an ad for Austraians, People who are culturally different from us, people who may not find it as strange as we might.

Ann said:

Almost as dumb as the european commercial for ps3 where you see a guy doing it with a soccerball O.o

Wolverinefacter said:

Nuon sure doesn't seem to like Sony and tends to post negative articles about them and while this sure is an odd ad, he really fails to tell us anything about the ad, where it's from ect. For shame....

sarahvait said:

I'm between horrified and laughing my a$$ off.

Seiya said:

Noun is an awful writer for GG, none of his work is worth mentioning, and this is PS3 hate because he can.