It seems like so, so long ago that we were toying with the idea of Microsoft hosting sales on their download service that could rival the digital deliciousness of Steam. As the leading distributor on PC, the Steam platform has been a sure source of many things - chief among them some ridiculous sales. Who can resist even the most obscure indie purchase when it's 75% off? Xbox Live Arcade and its game add-ons haven't seen as much success over the years, and it's a small wonder: almost all of the weekly sales have been for a single piece of content, whether an extra golf course, car pack, or outfit - and nearly none have been for recent games or things that might've been reviewed recently.
With the next two weeks' deals announced on Major Nelson's blog, however, it looks like they might finally be getting the hint that digital goods also deserve the occasional discount. Just check out this list:
Week of February 21 - Tom Clancy:
Week of February 28:
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Co-op Collection 200 points (50 percent off)
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Deniable Ops: Insurgency 400 points (50 percent off)
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Chapter 2, 300 points (50 percent off)
- Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. Air Supremacy, 400 points (50 percent off)
- Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2 All-in-one Pack, 400 points (50 percent off)
- Tom Clancy's EndWar Escalation, 200 points (50 percent off)
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, 600 points (50 percent off)
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Outfit, 200 points (50 percent off)
- PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX, 400 Points (Save 50%)
It won't happen for another week and a half, but a sale on the relatively-new Pac-Man CE DX is a pretty astounding bargain. Whether you've been feeding it quarters or are new to the game, the rainbow-infused insanity of this remake is a joy to experience.
While the addition of a whole host of Tom Clancy-branded content may not exactly tickle everyone's pickle, it does indicate a positive trend of--maybe discounting more than one thing at a time. We gamers love to have options, and with luck Microsoft will learn that highlighting content with temporary sales will drive even more wallets to open.
It's also worth nothing that the above Deals of the Week are exclusive to Gold members. Time to break out that 48-hour trial card when your week rolls around!