There is so much headdesking that will result from watching the following video that I'm going to warn you right now to put a pillow on your keyboard to protect against dain bramage. I link this to y'all, though, so that you can be informed, responsible gaymers who will know the types of asinine arguments the people who oppose our medium make and can intelligently defend against them.
There's not much for me to write about this as it'd be equal parts preaching to the choir and howling at the moon, but a few points to make:
- Issuing the player a fine (in-game) for polluting is not using "fear", "scare tactics" or "guilt"
- Fate of the World is not aimed at 5-year-olds
- Video games appeal to adults as well, so Fate of the World and Sim City Societies have a place for adults even if they're not a fit for your child
- If you as a parent don't know what's in a game your child is playing, and you can't be bothered to find out, then you lose the right to complain about what your child plays
- Livestock are slaughtered to make a hamburger; that's why they're called "slaughterhouses". Deal with it
- Bonus irony points for talking about games freaking kids out using footage of Flower
- Boredom is subjective; the Sims franchise is pretty frickin' successful for being a "boring" game
As always, you have the ability to control the media you and your children consume. If you don't like the content in a game, don't allow it in your home. Stop hiding behind your offspring and be a goddamn parent.
Fox News - Video Games Go Green