« Wootini's Weekly Animal Crossing Diary | Main | Atlus Offers Music To Kick Ass By »

DmC: Devil May Cry Dev Declares Dante "Officially Not Gay" (Quote Paraphrased)

Having rebelled against the Underworld, battled the Luciferian hordes, and generally been Gaia's last line of defense against that "laying waste to the cities of man" bother, Dante is a fellow of many accomplishments. Yet there is one thing that has forever eluded him: the tender caress of a man. Whether the lankiest of goths, or the fuzziest of bears, this Seventh Prince of Hell has been denied that most forbidden of sexy fruits. Yet amongst a select group on the internet, a recent DmC: Devil May Cry trailer cast doubt on that notion.

Set in a world where demons control the media (s*ck it, anti-Semites), the video features a right-wing newsman, who condemns Dante for, among other things, being a "sexual deviant." As Joystiq notes, "connotations of such a phrase harkened back to eras of gross intolerance of homosexuality in the 70s and 80s, and led us and others on Twitter to question if this new Dante might, himself, be gay."

The response inspired DmC developer Ninja Theory to address Dante's sexual orientation. Speaking with Joystiq at E3, chief designer Tameem Antoniades said, "No, he's not gay [...] But I kind of wish he was now."

Nonetheless, for those among our readers that dine heartily on digital man-flesh, there's enough innuendo to tempt your most lascivious of appetites: showcasing a nude Dante floating through the air, his ample manhood tastefully obscured by a baseball bat (i.e. "wood") and what appears to be a piece of meat.

What do you think, gamers? Does the trailer suggest a refreshing take on the Devil May Cry saga, or is it the video game equivalent of crushing your grey matter into a fine powder and snorting it off the ankles of a stripper named "Bunny" - your ears assailed by the sonic terrorstorm of Hot Topic's store playlist, blared out of 512 Watt speakers? Sound off in the comments section below!

hrnball said:

I believe that second poorly placed item was a half-eaten slice of pizza. Is it me or has Dante gotten hotter?

Dustafee said:

The world needs a male Bayonetta. A gay one.

BlueRafael said:

Whao. Seeing the character in action makes him look way different then the character art... I think I like him! And, yes, he looks way hotter, which is something I never thought I would say! I would be looking forward to this game, but I'm just not built for these type of games..

Esme Bush said:

When I first heard about this game I was really worried, I thought that they would turn Dante into a Dudebro, how wrong was I!
@hrnball you are not wrong Dante is way hotter!

Now I just need a Wii U version!

M0taku said:

what kind of pizza was that? sausage?

Briker Ed said:

I was still debating whether to try it when released, but now the DmC franchise officially won me back, after a period of abstinence. Hope they deliver a good gameplay as well, and some more ridiculous hotness for no apparent reason, just like Bayonetta did :3

Limeade said:

Interesting response. I thought this article was going to have a very different tone when I read the headline -- like a response of 'Eww, no gay in our action macho dudebro games.' But I can't express how much I'd love for an action game with a gay protagonist.

steven said:

I liked all of the previous installments of DMC, but it was time for some change. I love the new look so far, only thing could stop me from buying would be bad gameplay. And yes @hrnball & @Esme Bush i agree the new Dante is Gorgeous.

Michael said:

The video was awesome. Very well done. But I'm saddened by his coming out as straight. We need gays in the video game industry that aren't feminine, sissy or outright annoying. I'm very disappointed. I had hopes, but now they're dashed to pieces..

thief-of-time said:

awesome video..and dante? hot as hell ;)

Squiggy said:

I can't help but feel actual game developers would be open to the idea of a gay protagonist, especially with all of the movement with gay marriage in the media, and the repeal of DADT. I don't think it's something that would immediately come to mind during game concepting, but if thrown out there to the right team, it could be a real possibility.

I think the real problem comes from areas such as marketing, publisher, producers and CEOs. They're so caught up in mass appeal that they're afraid of alienating an audience or creating some negative controversy. In my experience, they're also often the slightly, to much older part of the industry. It's a bit of a generalization, but studios are often "artistic" and "liberal", where as offices can be fairly "rigid" and "conservative".

I'd hoped Dante was bi or gay. I have a feeling a bi male character (or a bi female, or lesbian character) would be more accepted than a gay male character right now. I'm at least glad to see the lead designer appears to have had this "Oh...that WOULD have been great!" moment at the notion of Dante being gay instead of "Oh...ahaha...no, no, Dante is all man", or something equally negative.

Kody said:

I'm a bit disappointed by this. I mean, it wasn't like I considered Dante before, but it would've been really cool and progressive for them to make him gay--or, at the very least, bi. I guess this could also lead to him developing that kind of storyline though. *shrug*

Or maybe we're just all too hopeful. :(

Either way, new Dante is smokin'. :)

Charlie said:

I couldn't ask for a better response than "but I wish he was." there has been such a cacophony of gamers calling him emo that it would have been easy to just leave it at "He's straight. Period." I can't imagine hes a Kinsey 1, 2 maybe? Heteroflexible?

Mikey said:

What kind of sexual deviant is he, then? Weird. Anyways, still not interested in this game or that series in general. This didn't help. lol

Greg said:

DMC is really the only action series I play, mostly on account of Dante.

They did a really great job redesigning him, "I kind of wish he was" is a great answer the the question of whether he's gay, and I'm super excited to play this when it happens.

Somebody please remind Ninja Theory that there needs to be a character skin with as little clothing as possible. :)

Lance said:

Wasn't picking up this game... now even less so.

dw said:

I just miss the red trench-coat and kind of wish his hair was longer.

That's what imagination is for (:

As for whatever else he could be as far as 'deviant'...? Kinky comes to mind. That can be a het thing as well.

Lance said:

Jennifer Thorne: That is likely the road they are taking, which is incredibly cheap.