November 28th: The day when fervent roleplayers see their readied actions realized - i.e. "upon Baldur's Gate's release, hit 'download' button" - geekdom saps our collective bandwidth, and the great cyber-DM of the digital plane throws up his hands in defeat.
Indeed, with the promise of some classic gaming goodness, tomorrow marks the day when Baldur's Gate will be available on PC, with Mac and iPad incarnations coming soon thereafter (the official site still has a rather vague "November" as the release date), and an Android version in the works. So while you stare at your bank statement, debating whether your mother actually needs that scarf for Christmas (she doesn't), Joystiq has provided some in-game footage from the game. I'll keep things rather brief - the aforementioned footage largely speaks for itself - but for those that haven't been following the epic quest of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, here are the goodies you will get, aside from the game itself, and the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack:
- New Adventure: The Black Pits
- New Character: Dorn Il-Khan
- New Character: Neera the Wild Mage
- New Character: Rasaad yn Bashir
- A new collection of player character voice sets
- Native support for high resolution widescreen displays
- Over 400 improvements to the original game
- Improved multiplayer support, with connectivity between all platforms
Baldur's Gate will run you $20 on Windows and Mac, or $10 on Android or the iPad.